Many of us push ourselves to the limit and beyond when it comes to helping others. When we are called upon to care for ourselves, we usually do not think about it until we get sick.
I see this time and time again during the course of my work. We have a hard time distinguishing between self-care and selfishness. It is a common misconception that sacrificing every last one of our own needs to make others happy is the way to the Great Eternal Reward. Neglecting to take care of yourself will get you to the Other Side faster, but don’t expect the people you do this for to recognize your efforts.
An essential part of self care is surrounding yourself with people you want to be around. We all have that “friend” or relative that is just plain toxic. They call on the phone or come over, and just drain the life energy out of you. Everything that comes out of their mouth is negative, full of criticism and sarcasm.
These individuals can also be referred to as “psychic vampires.“ Try visualizing energy cords going from that person to yourself, much like surgical tubing. They “pull” your energy, leaving you feeling drained, while their energy is at a surplus.
Please note that just because someone is asking for your help, a shoulder to cry on, or for you to listen to their frustrations it does not make them a psychic vampire. Everyone has bad days and some people really do have it rough and just need a friend. The difference between someone having a bad day and a psychic vampire is that the vampire sucks the energy out of people around them on an almost daily basis . It is almost as if the “vampire” has developed this behavior as a defense mechanism to protect them from having to deal with the real issues they are having and many times they do not have a real interest in getting better. (Cue Garbage’s “Only Happy When It Rains…”)
I see this scenario play out time and again. Good people feel that if they are “there” for a negative person, that somehow the negative individual will see the light and become a happier, more content person just by virtue of having someone to vent towards.
Nope. Never. Forget about it. Not going to happen.
If you are being barraged by a psychic vampire, I can assure you that you are merely on a “list.” If you do not pick up the phone when they call, rest assured, there is another name on that list they will call. Yes. You can turn your phone off. Will it hurt them? Nope. They will move on every time. The act of enabling these people will only deplete your own energy so you cannot be there for those you want to be there for.
Sometimes we find ourselves being “like a sponge,” absorbing the negative energy of a room, place of employment, or perhaps another persons energy. This is not unlike getting physically dirty. The dirt we accumulate is not physically visible. The psychic “dirt” can manifest as a bad mood, irritability, headaches, neck tension, insomnia, nausea, and heartburn.
Another word for this condition is called malochia or “the evil eye.” The book Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Protection by Draja Mickharic is an excellent old-school collection of remedies from around the world. It is very much worth the investment.
So how does one disconnect from the psychic vampire and wash the psychic muck from one’s aura? And how can these psychic vampires help themselves? Below are some tools to help you clear from negativity depending on your belief system:
- Call on Archangel Michael and ask for his blue sword of fire to cut the energy cords and ask for his protection throughout the day. He will always come when called. Asked to be infused with protection. And healing.
- For those who are more Earth based, using a silver candle on your altar while cutting the energy cords with your athame is very effective. Make sure to light another candle and/or burn incense to replace the energy being cleared. The rune Teiwaz is also effective in the clearing visual along with Algiz for protection. I would add an extra shot of Sowelu for good measure.
- Always, burning sage or Palo Santo Wood is useful for clearing energy and attracting good energy. If burning Sage, you also want to burn incense afterwords. This is especially useful if there happened to be an argument or negative occurrence in your space and wish to clear it. When you clear something, it is always wise to replace the energy removed by adding positive energy to fill that vacuum. You can purchase those products in your local metaphysical or herbal shop
- A “Beer Bath” is very effective in clearing your own personal aura and body.. In Draja Miharik’s book Spiritual Cleansing, his recipe is quite simple.
Bathe or shower as you normally would. Clean out the tub thoroughly.
Add a quart of beer and a teaspoon of salt to a half tub of lukewarm water. Immerse yourself completely several times. Continue pouring the bathwater over your body. Do this as long as you feel appropriate. When you are finished, have the water drain out of the tub while you are in the tub. Imagine all of the negativity going down the drain. Now is a time to pray your favorite prayer of protection. Allow the water to dry on your skin. Limit your exposure to media and outside influences for the retainer of the evening. It is best to do this bath before bed.
- Lastly, Reiki treatments are also useful in clearing yourself of negativity and toxins. Here is the definition of Reiki according to the International center for Reiki Training:
“Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by “laying on hands” and is based on the idea that an unseen “life force energy” flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one’s “life force energy” is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.”
Visit their site at: http://www.reiki.org/
These tools are all helpful in clearing yourself of negative energy. A lot of times, those who are psychic vampires are completely unaware of the fact that they “drain” others. This is where gentle care of ourselves will go a long way in dealing with those who are difficult. In time, your spiritual cleansing routine will be just as common in your daily life as brushing your teeth.
Don’t be surprised that people notice something “different” about you when you begin your spiritual care. Our spiritual body is as important as our physical body, so remember to take gentle care. You will reap the benefits for years to come.